Aug 4, 2008

VIRAL EMAIL - ARE DEMOCRATS DIFFERENT?

Today I received yet another viral McSame E-mail from an old high school friend - it is included after the jump - and it got me to thinking after my reply. (also included)

It got me to thinking about the large number of anti-Obama emails I receive through my brother - who does not reply and stays on the list. I've seen at least a dozen in the past month.

Why don't we see viral emails from the left? Are we incapable of a retort or is something deeper at work?

I think Democrats and liberal/progressives are reticent to pass on lies by email. I believe we recoil at the idea of negative smear campaigns. I wonder if we are wired differently and I'm not unhappy about that possibility.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop of anti-McSame viral email. I do live in Republican Knoxville,TN. where people get killed for being Liberal so I may not be privy to some campaign by liberals who send attacks on McCain by email.

On the one hand I applaud Obama's desire to stay positive and talk about the problems we face and solutions to those problems. On the other I see the points of those who think we need to see Obama attack McCain like he is being attacked.

But it's part of why I am proud to be a liberal/progressive Democrat even when we lose doing things the right way. I just wonder why some of you who think Obama should go on the attack aren't composing attack email against McSame and send them out. Or do you? Here's an email address to send them
revolver44 at comcast dot net.

Here's the email
America, does not need this leader......
Obama Explains National Anthem Stance -

Hot on the heels of his explanation for why he no longer wears a flag pin, presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama was forced to explain why he doesn't follow protocol when the National Anthem is played.

According to the United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10, Sec. 171, During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform are expected to stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart.

'As I've said about the flag pin, I don't want to be perceived as taking sides,' Obama said. 'There are a lot of people in the world to whom the American flag is a symbol of oppression. And the anthem itself conveys a war-like message. You know, the bombs bursting in air and all. It should be swapped for something less parochial and less bellicose. I like the song 'I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing.' If that were our anthem, then I might salute it.'

WHAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!
and this was my reply
Karen and friends,

It's pretty amazing that people who want to see John McCain elected to continue 4 more years of the same economic and foreign policy that put us in the shape we currently "enjoy" have to lie - baldfaced outright lie - by sending on email like this.

I realize it's difficult to come up with any reason to vote for John McCain. And I realize he has based his campaign on smears and lies. But it seems you would have something better to do than email an outright lie - a quote that never happened - to indicate your support for the party that has given us endless war, an unbelievable debt, and serious problems for homeowners and those who have trouble paying for healthcare not to mention the plunging stock market and hideous balance of trade.

The Republican Party has controlled both houses of Congress for 14 of the past 16 years and the Presidency for the past 8 and everything that is happening now is laid at their feet as a result of their policies. So it's clear if you're a Republican all you can do to keep your party in power is to lie about the Democrat. That may be important to you if you're employed by the defense or oil industries or if you are among the 5% richest Americans. We have seen the greatest redistribution of wealth in the history of the country from the hands of middle class to the elite.

These are serious times that require serious changes to the way things have been operated for the past 8 years.
8 years ago we enjoyed a balanced budget and people of all economic situations below the richest 5% were doing far better than they are today. Now we have record profits by Bush and Cheney oil buddies and the weapons manufactureres and folks like Halliburton/KBR and Blackwater but most middle class and lower income Americans are living on the edge squeezed like never before.

So get serious Karen and stop sending me this crap. That quote never happened and it's not about what's important to people who are in trouble after 8 years of the worst presidency in history. I don't care who you support - have the decency to send something that gives us hope that there will be a change from what we've seen destroyed by the Bush/Cheney administration. This kind of viral crap from Freepers who think people will believe any crap they post should be beneath you.

Let me know if John comes up with anything to beat Obama's plans for converting us from a dependency on fossil fuels or how he's going to end the insanity that cause us to waste a trillion dollars in Iraq on a war based on lies and I will be glad to see it. But if this is the best you've got then keep it to yourself.

Barack Obama is already restoring some hope in the rest of the world that America will return to it's senses. Our friends overseas have no problem seeing hope in his candidacy. Attacking him as Un-American is about as low as anybody can go and I mean that sincerely

This stuff is garbage and you should be ashamed to pass it on. It demeans our democracy and insults our intelligence.

No comments: